Collect rainwater in a water butt
Using a Water Butt to collect rainwater from your guttering is a great way of watering your garden. Not only do you save money but rain water is better than tap water for your garden.
There are loads of benefits for using a water butt to water your garden
- Rainwater is better for garden than tap water
- Rainwater is free
- Rainwater is better for the environment
Installing a water butt
Installing a water butt is pretty straight forward as well:
- Select a down pipe from your guttering with plenty of room to site the water butt close by
- Cut the down pipe at the desired height and fit a diverter.
- Locate the water butt on a stand or firm base. Ideally this should be above the ground so you can full your watering can using the tap. Mind you its not a major problem to fill up your watering can from the top
Choosing a water butt
Here are a few things to consider:
- Chose a water butt that will fit into the space you have
- Chose a water butt or butts that will collect enough rain water to water your garden
- Make sure the lid is secure and child proofed
Where to get a water butt
Most water companies sell water butts as well as DIY stores such as Focus, Wickes & B&Q. There are also a number of online suppliers who may be cheaper and who will deliver to your door such as Screwfix & The Urban Garden.